Are you looking for the career scope in Dentistry? You are at right place, as, here you’ll know about What is BDS or Dentistry & Career Scope in Pakistan. Teeth are the most important part of the human body, which not only contribute to one’s beauty, but, also play an important role as gateway to various diseases.
What is BDS or Dentistry & Career Scope in Pakistan
What is BDS or Dentistry? BDS stands for “Bachelor of Dental Surgery”. It is concerned with all health problems afflicting the mouth, teeth, gums & other hard & soft tissues of the oral cavity. To an extent, it includes cosmetology, where corrective treatment is involved. Dentists improve patients’ appearance by using a wide variety of cosmetic dental procedures.
Remember, a Doctor’s profession involves a lot of hard work & at the same time, it gives the satisfaction of curing patients & at times even saving lives. It has been a very demanding profession from past to present, even in future will be.
Nature of Work: The core function of a dentist is prevention & treatment of diseases related to the oral cavity, including the floor of the oral cavity, the ‘roof’ of the mouth, teeth, gums, tongue etc. This also includes educating patients about oral hygiene & ways to preserve a healthy mouth & prevent dental problems.
BDS Doctors Job:
On job Dentist may have to perform the following Medicares;
- Diagnose & treat problems & diseases of teeth & tissues in the mouth
- Remove tooth decay, fill cavities, place protective plastic sealants on children’s teeth, straighten teeth, repair fractured teeth
- Clean patient’s mouth & teeth
- Also perform surgery on gums & supporting bones to treat gum diseases
- Provide instruction on diet, brushing & other aspects of dental care.
- Specialized dentist may work on one of the following aspect of the dentistry
What is BDS Career Scope in Pakistan?
The career scope of dentistry is very high, not only in Pakistan, but, all over the world. As, teeth are the most important part of our body & teeth problem are also very common in Pakistan. Therefore, due to the increase of population, we need more & more dentist in Pakistan.
Moreover, The increasing complicated lifestyles & continuous research has resulted in the emergence of different specialties in the field of Dentistry (BDS). Furthermore, different specialists of the respective fields take care of clients efficiently, due to their mastery, results better treatment. Following are the main specialties in BDS;
- Orthodontics: It deals with straightening teeth by applying pressure to the teeth with braces
- Pediatric Dentistry: It is children’s dentist
- Periodontics: Deals with the care of gums & the diseases that might affect them.
- Operative Dentistry: It’s for root canal jobs, filling & cosmetic surgery
- Prosthodontics: It is specialist in making of artificial teeth
- Oral Surgery: It deals specifically with operation on the mouth & jaw
- Oral Pathology: It provides the diagnosis for diseases that affect the mouth
Admission Requirements for BDS in Pakistan
Following are the admission requirements for BDS in Pakistan;
- FSc. Pre-Medical (Biology-Chemistry-Physics) or equivalence degree e.g A-Level etc.
- 65% Marks in Punjab & 60% in other Provinces
- Domicile from Home District
- UHS MDCAT Entry Test
- Age less than 25 years
Career Opportunities after BDS in Pakistan
A large number of career opportunities are available for BDS students both in Government & Private sectors. Following are some of them;
- Most of the dentists run their own private clinic
- Armed Forces Jobs
- Nursing homes
- Research & Health centers
- Medical colleges teaching jobs
- Research Centre Jobs
That’s all about “What is BDS or Dentistry & Career Scope in Pakistan”. If you’ve any query, feel free to comment or contact us.